The following facilities have been measured against international health quality standards and have been accredited by COHSASA (the Council for Health Service Accreditation of Southern Africa) following a board meeting on August 17, 2012.08.21
COHSASA (http://www.cohsasa.co.za) is a not-for-profit Section 21 Company that has been working in the field of quality improvement and accreditation of healthcare facilities in Southern Africa for the past 17 years.
COHSASA is recognised internationally and its standards, training for surveys and the organisation are accredited by the International Society for Quality in Health Care (ISQua).
Facilities achieve either two- or three year COHSASA accreditation awards. Two-year awards are given to institutions if they are a first-time entry into the programme. Thereafter, if levels of standards excellence have been maintained between surveys, the facilities are usually given three-year accreditation awards.
COHSASA has a system of graded accreditation consisting of levels of achievement gradually leading to full accreditation. The levels for pre-accreditation are Entry, Intermediate and Intermediate with a Focus Survey. When the facility is issued with an Intermediate with Focus Survey, it means that it is close to full accreditation and needs to comply with only a few outstanding areas (within a period of six to nine months) in order to achieve full compliance.
Hospitals in the Public Sector
- Bongani Regional Hospital in Welkom, Free State – 2-year Accreditation Award
- Elizabeth Ross District Hospital in Phuthaditjhaba, Free State – Intermediate with Focus
Hospitals in the Private Sector
- Anglo American Thermal Coal Highveld Hospital in Emalahleni – 3 year Accreditation Award (fifth entry into the COHSASA programme)
- New Vaal Colliery Health Centre – 3-year Accreditation Award
- Mediclinic Milnerton – 3 year Accreditation Award
- Mediclinic Sandton – 3 year Accreditation Award
- Elim Clinic in Kempton Park – 3 year Accreditation Award (fifth entry into the COHSASA programme)
- Helderberg Hospice in Somerset West – 3-year Accreditation Award
- Living Hope Hospice in Sun Valley, Cape Town – 2-year Accreditation Award (1st entry)
Clinics in Cape Town
- Factreton Clinic in the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town – 3-year Accreditation Award
- Bloekombos Clinic near Kraaifontein, Cape Town – Intermediate with Focus Survey
Clinics in Lesotho
- Likotsi Filter Clinic – Intermediate with Focus Survey
- Mabote Filter Clinic – Intermediate with Focus Survey
- Qoaling Filter Clinic – Intermediate with Focus Survey